Percentages Quiz Set 020

Advertisement


Your Score
Correct Answers:
Wrong Answers:
Unattempted:

Question 1

If 5% of X + 4% of Y equals 2/3 of the sum of 3% of X and 16% of Y, then the ratio of X to Y is?

 A

$2{2/9}$.

 B

$3{5/8}$.

 C

1.

 D

$4{3/11}$.

Soln.
Ans: a

We can drop the % from both sides and write the given equation as 5X + 4Y = $2/3$ × (3X + 16Y), which is same as 3 × (5X + 4Y) = 2 × (3X + 16Y). Let r = X/Y. Dividing both sides by Y and putting r = X/Y, we get, 3 × (5r + 4) = 2 × (3r + 16), solving for r we get r = ${20/9}$, which is same as: $2{2/9}$.


Question 2

If 11% of X + 7% of Y equals 2/3 of the sum of 6% of X and 13% of Y, then the ratio of X to Y is?

 A

${5/21}$.

 B

$1{3/10}$.

 C

$2{1/23}$.

 D

$2{22/23}$.

Soln.
Ans: a

We can drop the % from both sides and write the given equation as 11X + 7Y = $2/3$ × (6X + 13Y), which is same as 3 × (11X + 7Y) = 2 × (6X + 13Y). Let r = X/Y. Dividing both sides by Y and putting r = X/Y, we get, 3 × (11r + 7) = 2 × (6r + 13), solving for r we get r = ${5/21}$.


Question 3

Two numbers are, respectively, 15% and 50% less than a third number. What percent is the second of the first?

 A

$58{14/17}$ %.

 B

$63{9/16}$ %.

 C

$51{14/19}$ %.

 D

$55{6/19}$ %.

Soln.
Ans: a

If the third number is 100, first number is (100 - 15) = 85, and the second number is (100 - 50) = 50. The required ratio is $50/85$ × 100 = ${1000/17}$, which is same as: $58{14/17}$%.


Question 4

A sample of alcohol has 40% water, and another sample has 60% water. If equal volumes of both the samples are combined, what is the percentage of water in the new sample?

 A

50 %.

 B

52 %.

 C

48 %.

 D

54 %.

Soln.
Ans: a

If 100 units of both alcohol are combined, there will be 100 units of water in 200 units of the new sample. The percentage of water is $100/200$ × 100 = 50%.


Question 5

If 58 is m% of p, and B is p% of m, then what is B?

 A

58.

 B

68.

 C

48.

 D

78.

Soln.
Ans: a

Let 58 = A, so A = $m/100$ × p = $p/100$ × m. = B, so A and B are same.


buy aptitude video tutorials


Creative Commons License
This Blog Post/Article "Percentages Quiz Set 020" by Parveen (Hoven) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Updated on 2017-10-26.

Posted by Parveen(Hoven),
Aptitude Trainer


Advertisement